Update at 2 pm CDT:
Hurricane Nate is likely to be a Cat 1 or 2 at landfall (thinking NHC forecast of 2 as high-end). It is leveling off based on current satellite presentation as well as air force reconnaissance observations. STORM SURGE REMAINS THE GREATEST HAZARD. The asymmetric structure…a product of Nate’s forward motion, may intensify/focus surge/battering waves from Mouth of Mississippi River to the MS/AL border. 9-11 ft surge with battering waves expected Mouth of Miss. River to MS/AL border as center passes nearby. 6-9 ft east to AL/FL border. Dangerous. High tide along Gulf Coast of MS around midnight, passage of center may be 8-10 pm CDT…partial enhancement could exacerbate flooding.
Probability of Cat 1 at initial landfall: 90%
Probability of Cat 2 at initial landfall: 10%
Landfall should be between 5-7 pm in far Southwest Louisiana.
Hurricane Nate is headed for a likely landfall with the northern Gulf Coast of the US this evening. The hurricane is blasting north-northwestward very fast for a tropical cyclone…26 mph at the moment. This is under the influence of an approaching upper-level trough of low pressure which will eventually turn it northeastward after landfall. The system has continued to organize as expected over the warm waters (83-84 degrees F) and favorable low wind shear. The storm (at 10 CDT) is a Category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 90 mph with gusts to 110 mph.
The waters atmospheric and oceanic conditions should remain favorable for intensification up until landfall. Landfall is likely between 6-8 pm in far southwest Louisiana. My assessment based on this on trends, is that Nate is likely (65%) to make landfall as Category 2 (100-110 mph sustained) with a moderate chance (10%) to make landfall as a Category 3 (115 mph+), if more rapid intensification occurs during the next 7-8 hrs. There is also a 25% chance of a landfall as a Category 1.
Heavy rainfall (lessened by the storm’s forward speed) is most likely over southern Mississippi into Alabama. Much of Louisiana will miss the worst of the storm, including New Orleans, however points east will face potentially significant surge. Surge may reach 7-11 ft along the mouth of the Mississippi River to the Mississippi/Alabama border; 6-9 ft from the MS/AL border to the AL/FL border, including Mobile Bay.
If you know anyone in these areas, please tell them to evacuate NOW!! This storm is moving FAST and storm surge will, BY FAR be the greatest danger from Nate. Far more than the wind or even inland flooding. I do have some concern that the combination of the relatively recent development of this system, its fast forward movement, and resulting shorter lead time, in addition to the system being relatively weaker in terms of maximum sustained winds that people may not leave or leave fast enough. People need to leave and be safe.
I will have updates when possible this afternoon and evening.